Prior to 1913 the Brant Curling Club was located at the corner of Albion and Waterloo streets in downtown Brantford. Unfortunately, that location was destroyed by fire and thirty years passed before the club was re-formed.
In the mid 1940's a meeting was held with the interest of forming a new club. By fall of 1945 the Brant Curling Club was back on the ice. Using borrowed stones and rented arena ice more than 32 teams competed two nights a week.
The first Bonspiel took place in the 1945-1946 season and was sponsored by Johnson's Wax (now SC Johnson). By this time a clubhouse had been built under the arena seating which looked onto the ice at eye level. Again, a fire decimated the clubhouse and all records and trophies
A BRIEF HISTORY
At this time the decision was made to purchase property and build a curling facility. Land was bought at 34 Morrell Street, our existing location, and construction began in the spring of 1950. The construction phase was completed in the fall of 1950.
The original club consisted of an ice house and club house with a bar and lounge area. As time passed, additions were completed which provided office space and another change area.
- taken from a historical account captured by C.E. Sheppard (a Founder and Honourary Lifetime Member of the Brant Curling Club).
A curling club cannot exist without devoted and inspired volunteers. Many of those volunteers exceed the 'call of duty' and as a result they are recognized with Honour Roll status. A massive thank-you to our devoted volunteers!
Gilbert Higgins, Tommy Pappas Sr., Marion Sayle, Chuck Sheppard.
1996 - Don Campbell, Earl Thacker, Em Knill, Bill Currie, Bob Ion, George Campbell, Ray Truant
HONOUR ROll &
Honour Roll cont.
1997 - Dr. Glenn Young, Bill Emmott
1998 - John Knill
1999 - Barry Baxter
2000 - Patricia White
2001 - Wayne Allen
2002 - Ken Mehlenbacher
2003 - Bill Calverley
2005 -Wayne Millward
2006 - Kathy Wilson